16 February 2010

breakfast in bed


except not really. because i didnt eat it in bed. and I am pretty sure that I actually made this for dinner instead of breakfast. semantics. anywho, i bought some bread, and felt i needed to take advantage of it. and i had some eggs that i needed to use. and spinach. and with all of those things in my fridge, i totally started craving eggs on toast! amazing how that happens.

this was actually my first time making eggs not-just-scrambled. i'm fairly incompetent frying things, to be honest. I cant make omelets - they just fall apart. I cant even flip pancakes properly! its seriously depressing. which is why all of my eggs always end up scrambled instead of more exciting. BUT i really wanted yummy eggs. and so i went to the internets to learn the proper way to cook them. and i think it went fairly well! sure, i broke the white of the second egg at the end, BUT i didnt break the yolk! and that is the important thing. the accompanying salad and bread with cheese were also delicious.

and because i am so behind in postings (that breakfast dinner was a week and a half ago!) just like i am behind in using my CSA share foods, its a double-post! Last week i was so busy with work, and had so many greens in my CSA share, i just didnt know what to do with it all! i steamed the spinach for a nutricious side (felt a bit like popeye. mmm) but what to do with all of the arugula? well, i turned to epicurious. and found a recipe for arugula pesto!

now, i love pesto. it has always been one of my favorite pasta sauces. creamy or oily, love them both. and NO ONE else in my family ever liked it. i mean, i think that my mom did, but neither brother or sister liked it (i think they didnt like the fact that it was green?), so i rarely got any pesto. such a sad life, i know. and when i was in sydney, the little cafe next to our class/lab had this delicious little ziti with sun-dried tomato pesto that i ate...probably a few times a week while we were in class. so delicious. so, since i am clearly a fan, i thought it would be fun to make arugula pesto!

now, i'm not so good with following recipes for non-baking things. somehow i feel like it doesnt matter how much oil or cheese or pine nuts are actually in the pesto. so i pulled out my trusty little food processor, and started choppity chopping the arugula. annnnnd then added more arugula. annnnd then more arugula. and then oil and parmesan cheese and pine nuts (which i sacriligeously did not toast! i know! the horror!) and chopchopchopchop and presto! pesto! delici-ous-o! i even have some in my freezer for a lazy night!

No comments:

Post a Comment